Sandra in Al's Interview & Thanks Sharon!!!!!

From: Mark Alexander (malexander06)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 04:55:17 PDT

    Good luck with your interview, Sandra in Al,

    I had an interview last week for a .6 position in a K-8 school in my region.
    I'm trying to land a permanent .6 that meshes with the .4 position I have in
    another K-8 school. I've become quite attached to the administration, staff
    and student families at my .4 position over the last few years, yet I need
    to earn full time wages. I've been very lucky in my efforts at 'filling an
    inside straight' with long term art sub positions, but I need the stability
    of a more permanent arrangement. This .6 could be it, and they would fit
    together perfectly.

    My first interview went very well, as yours will, too. I now have a
    classroom observation, then another interview. Being yourself is key, as
    Janice mentioned along with her other valuable comments. Your participation
    with ArtsEdNet is also a big plus. You might just be able to wedge in a
    comment like: "An art teacher from Connecticut (California, Iceland) sent me
    plans for a color theory (wire & sculpty, papermakimng) unit I'm dying to
    adapt to this group." They'll take note of the advantages of a networking,
    growing teacher.

    Just as an example of the enormous advantage ArtsEdNet participants have:
    I'm being observed tomorrow by the interviewing principal. This time of year
    is tough to be observed, because I generally don't start anything the last
    week of school. But thanks to ArtsEdNet, I've found a solution that I'm sure
    will impress her. I'm hoping to show prior color theory learning with one of
    my 4th grade classes, using the very cool edible color wheel lesson that
    Sharon posted last week. I figure I'll buy my job with cookies!

    Thanks Sharon, and all of you other ArtsEdNetters! You all make me (us) look
    so good!

    Sandra, just relax and try to enjoy yourself. The interviewers know
    interviews pose an high pressure situation, which if you think about it,
    relieves some of the pressure. And remember, we're all rooting for you!

    Good luck,

    Mark
    Region One in northwestern Connecticut

    ---