The future

From: Patricia Knott (pknott)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 14:17:18 PDT

    -be thankful you have a pension and some health benefits.

    I do all the time. I was in business and a free-lance artist before I
    started teaching. I always paid for my own benefits. It is one of those
    things I am very grateful for, but not enough to keep me teaching.

    I think, I hope, most teachers are aware of how lucky they are to have the
    benefits they do, but I'm certain it is NOT the same for all teachers.
    Where I live salaries and benefits are excellent. How many of you out there
    are still struggling with meager salaries? We all put up with the same
    "crap" yet the inequities are tremendous.

    I feel very fortunate to be well compensated and think often about so many
    teachers all over the country who put their heart and soul into a job for
    barely livable wages.

    BTW From reading every message that comes through this list, I gather that
    many of you put your own money in to your classrooms - sometimes simply to
    survive. When I did my taxes this year, I realized I had spent over $3,000
    on things, sometimes necessary, sometimes just because they helped.

    I've never had a job in business where I put so much of my own money into
    seeing that something worked well.

    I don't want to get into a "tit for tat" about who has it worse.
    Seems to be it is worse for everybody.

    Patty

    ---