what it takes to experience art

From: Pnina Bachar (pnina_b)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 11:27:37 PDT

    I am writing to you because I am interested in your opinion regarding my research. The research main purpose is to form a general and agreed upon definition to the term “an autonomic learner in plastic art”. This definition is highly important as a basis for discussion, and is very needed to find out the best way to develop an autonomic learner. As you probably know, most of the people who deal with art education agree that in order to understand a piece of art one must have a sub-cognitive ability and the ability to feel it. You have to know the tools through which the artwork expresses itself – the color, texture, image etc. It is well known that the experience of creating art is personal. That is why for years, educators have discussed the way art should be taught in school. What are the important things in learning and what can we teach the student.

    I turn to people in the field of art education and ask for their position on the subject. Thus, I turn to each and everyone of you and ask you to describe in detail, as much as possible –

    1. The operational, emotional, cognitive and meta-cognitive abilities required, in your opinion, in order to understand plastic art.

    2. Which abilities, in your opinion, are essential and without them one cannot understand nor experience a piece of art.

    3. Can we identify a sequence through which these abilities should be learned. What are the considerations for that – age of student, the educational framework or other considerations?

    Please reply to my e-mail::PNINA_B

    Thank you in advance

    Pnina Bachar

    ---