Re: guns and violence-healing society

From: Ann Carolan (acarolan.us)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 01:25:55 PDT

    > And so, what will heal society? We can rave on and on about
    > atrocities, but when will we move to solutions?

    My recommendations:
        1. Conversion through love, gentleness, study of the Bible
        2. in schools! There is no better basis for values. If it was good
        enough for our founding fathers, it's good enough for us.
        Vouchers would solve the problem of choosing the school and
        the religious or non-religious foundation each person desires.
        Which would you choose for your child, if you were given the choice?

        3. Education in conflict resolution mandated: every class, every
    level, from student to teacher to faculty, to bus drivers, to aides, to
    janitors so that all would be educated in non-violence.
        4. Out there somewhere in the Carolinas is a prison program that
        operates on the premise of treating people with respect. I met
        someone who ran this alternative programs for prisoners who were
        addicts and even the guards were taught how to handle the prisoners
    with respect. This program worked. I think it had AA connnections.
        If we can teach prisoners to reform their lives, we can teach
    anyone.
        I wish I could remember who this was or what the name of the place
    was? Does anyone know of this or any other success stories.

    ann carolan

    ---