Re: (kids who talk about sueing) <LYR4069-15067-2000.05.29-19.35.04--apeshet#pacbell.net>

From: Alix E. Peshette (apeshet)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 20:30:10 PDT

    Wow, this thread really strikes a chord with me! I teach in an
    upper middle class district where there are a lot of professionals,
    including a lot of lawyers. I got really tired of middle school
    students saying to me "I'll sue!" at the drop of a hat as both a joke
    and a form of intimidation. (Of course they are modeling behaviors
    from home and television)

    I decided that it is such a serious issue, that it should be taken
    VERY SERIOUSLY by both me and the student!! I decided not to
    take this form of abuse and intimidation any longer. If a child says,
    "I'll sue" to me, I stop everything, look them in the eye and say
    "This is a very serious thing to say to me. I will have my lawyer
    contact your parents!" "Give me their phone number." Once the
    child squirms and backs down, I then say "Don't ever say that to
    me again, unless you really mean it! It is disrespectful and a form
    of intimidation, and I won't stand for it!" It's interesting, that now
    that I have decided on this course of action, I haven't had students
    pulling this abuse on me lately!

    Now, of course, if the situation really was one that was liable, I
    would take another tact.

    Just my 2 cents worth!
    -Alix Peshette

    ---