Realities

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 17:37:01 PDT

    > I'm just having some long serious thoughts about what to do with
    > the future.

    As are we all, at least on this list. The children we teach, and many of
    their parents, are not nearly so focused on "the future", not when many of
    them are just trying to figure out how to survive day to day (Maslow's
    hierarchy). The politicians are hardly more so, too many of them being more
    concerned about public appearances and the next election.

    But these are the realities. And the parents, and students, are stymied by
    the same attitude: "What can we do about it? It is a problem which is
    bigger than me. And, I don't have the time in my day to attend meetings and
    workshops."

    Caring takes time and energy, and commitment. Most people don't feel
    empowered, have given up any hope that anything can be different. Many are
    too afraid to put themselves on the line for what they believe.

    We are, of course, talking personal commitment. Initially of you teachers
    (since you are my audience), and of whatever concerned parents and community
    citizens you can gather together.

    But primary in this 'movement' is the belief that something can be done, but
    will not be done until we all come together. Once the community sees that
    some, few people care enough, others will join.
    (see attachment below by Goethe). And they will join. Most people are
    good. I truly believe that. But that have lost faith in being able to do
    anything, that they can do anything. They need that empowerment re-built.

    Some of you know, or have deduced, that I am of the old (60's-70's) activist
    school. Radical, when necessary, but never anarchist and never violent
    (what's the point?!). Critical Thinking, Conflict Management, Ethical
    Reasoning, and Community building are what I have devoted my life to.

    IF ANY OF YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT PURSUING SUCH ACTIONS, CAN RALLY A CORE
    GROUP OF CONCERNED CITIZENS TOGETHER, I AM VERY INTERESTED IN WORKING WITH
    YOU. Funding is available, from the Presbyterian Committee on the
    Self-Development of People (PCSDOP); they have a web site.

    The important thing is to begin, to take the first step.

    > Is it worth it? Kinda thing.
    > Reatha

    Of course it is. If it isn't, nothing else is. A few posts back, I
    recommended the movie, "Music of the Heart." See that movie, a true story
    set in Harlem, and ask Roberta, the main character, the parents and the
    children if it was worth it.

    Larry
    --------------------
    "Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back, always
    ineffectiveness.

    Concerning all acts of initiative (and creation), there is one elementary
    truth the ignorance of which kills countless ideas and splendid plans: the
    moment one definitely commits oneself, then Providence moves too.

    All sorts of things occur to help one that would never otherwise have
    occurred. A whole stream of events issues from the decision, raising in
    one's favor all manner of unforeseen incidents and meetings and material
    assistance which no man could have dreamed would have come his way.

    Whatever you can do or dream you can do, begin it.

    Boldness has genius, power and magic in it. Begin it now."

    - Goethe (1749-1832)

    ---