RE: Kentucky Artist in Residence needs Peers

From: Sears, Ellen (ESears.us)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 12:21:37 PDT

    Where are you in Kentucky? What grade level are you certified for? Income
    varies - but have you checked with private schools - several in larger
    cities have full-time art positions. Arts Associations may offer positions,
    art teacher for home schoolers (this would involved some work to get
    yourself started - but there is a market.). ESS programs offered through the
    schools (this would mean after school hours or Saturdays - you may have to
    sell it to districts yourself - but it could be done). There are many
    districts in the state supporting and even emphasizing the arts (a result of
    KERA) -
    It would help to know what part of the state you are in - different areas
    offer different possibilities.
    Not every teacher travels to several schools (which is how I started - on a
    cart, 4 schools and a three week rotation for seeing kids - not three weeks
    straight - once every three weeks, with classes of 30 - 40.) Even if that
    was your situation - after 20 years I still can recall individuals and
    classes - you will get to know them.
    Ellen

    > I am on this fence. I have just finished a Masters in Art Education. I am
    >
    > able to teach full time IF I am willing to run to three or four schools
    > per
    > week. This will mean hardly getting to know the kids or their names. IT
    > will
    > mean not being in a classroom, but pushing a cart around to30-35 classes a
    >
    > week.

    ---