Re: sketchbook motivation

From: Patricia Knott (pknott)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 08:55:06 PDT

    My two favorite sources for drawing and sketchbook ideas are:

    1 Experimental Drawing
       by Robert Kaupelis
       Watson-Guptill Publications, 1980

       I got this from Atlantic Warehouse many years ago. I'm not sure, but
    think it has had subsequent editions.( Kaupelis has a couple of books on
    drawing) It is a great source. amazon.com will do "out of pint" searches at
    no cost.

    2. Drawing A Contemporary Approach
       Claudia Betti/ Teel Sale
       Holt, Rinehart and Winston 1986

    I think this is still available. I'm pretty sure I have seen it in the
    catalogues.

    I use and use these books constantly. If they are not available they should
    be!!
    They both contain all you need for a step by step approach to teaching
    drawing skills.
    All of the problems are about forcing your eye to see what is really there
    and not what you think is there.
    For sketchbooks --- have the kids do lots and lots of blind contours; it's
    the best way to train the eye. AND, draw from observation.

    Patty

    ---