re: Sketchbooks

From: Teri Mason (terily)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 06:37:52 PDT

    Are all your students the same grade level? If not, maybe change it up
    by grade. I did batik with my 5-6 grade, glued over matboard and
    hand-sewn pages (had to buy 11x17" paper to fold in half, then they
    sewed signatures of 4 sheets, a total of 16 sheets per person). For 4th
    grade, they made bound sketchbooks (with the plastic binding... my
    school has that machine) with painted covers. Next year I'm thinking of
    doing the marbeling, although I don't know if I have any rough paper
    (NOT using watercolor for this many covers). 3rd grade got a half-size
    book and painted the cover, 2nd also got half-size and decorated with
    crayon designs. K-1 don't really have sketchbooks, except for manilla
    paper covered with construction paper. We do a short drawing unit and
    then they get to use them for "free-draw" when they finish an
    assignment. I keep tons of "how-to-draw" books in my artist library and
    they have to follow the steps. The manilla paper keeps them from trying
    to trace. And I'm producing some really interesting artists! They all
    LOVE their sketchbooks, and it doesn't get "old" for me!
    teri

    ---