wire sculpture and straws

From: Olejarz2
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 06:11:29 PDT

    Hi,

    For years I have been doing a group wire sculpture project with my 6th
    graders.

    When I first started the project I had to find the right thickness of wire
    for the students. Twisteez was too soft and it took a while before I found
    the right thickness wire that would support some weight and still be easy
    enough for 6th graders to bend.
    Now I give students Twisteez after they have started their project and they
    use it to add color to their creations.

    Recently, it occurred to me to let students use straws with their wire
    sculptures. Like a Snelson sculpture they thread the wire through the straw
    and the straw adds lots of strength. For example, a group of students used
    this technique to help the Ferris Wheel they made stand. The straws can also
    be painted.

    Harold

    ---