Re: trick for drying clay without splitting

From: Rosa Juliusdottir (rojul)
Date: Mon May 29 2000 - 06:56:41 PDT

    I always keep my clay under a couple of sheets of newspaper the first
    couple of days of drying, the newspaper keeps the moisture in it and the
    clay dries slower and does not crack. To roll clay slabs I also always use
    newspaper and if your change or turn the sheets often enough the clay never
    sticks to it.
    Best regards from the far north,
    Rosa

    >Hi everyone,
    >
    >I have not been very successful in drying my clay projects without them
    >cracking before they are completely dry ( for example a picture frame with
    >4 seperate strips top bottom and sides)? Also does anyone have any
    >suggestions for rolling clay slabs then trying to remove them from the
    >table, without ruining the slab? Does it work better if rolled on
    >newspaper? Help! Thanks, Lisa

    ---