frightening

From: Batmom44
Date: Sun May 28 2000 - 14:55:08 PDT

    There are some very frightening stories coming out on this list. A teacher
    being written up for being stabbed. Another taking a vicious kicking to avoid
    being arrested! Seminars and classes on how to defend yourself or what to do
    if someone enters your building with a bomb or weapon. We have been told to
    lock the door and leave students in the hallway, if we get a certain signal,
    because we will have no way of knowing who the perpetrator is. then we are
    told what to do if the perpetrator has already entered our room. Will this
    be another required class in teacher preparation? Self defense 101 and
    Negotiator 101?
    All I know is that I am becoming very afraid to continue teaching. I am
    nervous about returning to school on Tuesday after the incident in our
    district on Friday and the shooting in Florida. When that fear becomes too
    big, I am going to have to walk. That makes me feel guilty. Like a rat
    leaving a sinking ship. But, I really do think that it is time to examine my
    options.

    Reatha

    ---