Re: another shooting

From: John Antoine Labadie (labadie)
Date: Sun May 28 2000 - 11:36:33 PDT

    > Maggie White wrote:
    > Teri Mason wrote:> Me, too. Why wasn't that teacher able to protect
    > him/herself? If> he/she were also armed, the student would not have
    > even considered> bringing a gun to school. This attitude makes me sick
    > to my stomach. When trained police officers canoverreact and gun down
    > unarmed people, can you imagine vigilante _teachers_blazing away at a
    > student in the hallway?Maggie.
    >

    > Hmmm........teachers with guns...............Where would we keep these
    > loaded guns? In our desk drawer? Coat pocket? In a holster? I find
    > this verrrry scary.
    > Wendy

    Another incident to consider, even if it is historical. More than 20
    years ago, as a second-year high school teacher, i was stabbed
    while trying to prevent a fight, after seeing one student threaten
    another with a knife. after the incident, i received a formal letter of
    "reprimand" citing my "poor judgment" ... this letter further stated
    that "a uniformed officer is on the campus during school hours" ...
    even though he was not in my building at the time. Whenever i
    chance to look at the scar i shudder to think about how much
    worse it could have been for all involved ... also at how little
    understanding, or protection, that school administration afforded
    the faculty. In twenty years such problem have certainly NOT been
    solved. It is indeed, verrrrrrrry scary.

    John

    ---