re: NY teaching

From: Teri Mason (terily)
Date: Sun May 28 2000 - 07:44:43 PDT

    To whomever was asking about jobs in NY: I just had dinner last night
    with a friend and her visiting mother, who lives in Buffalo. I
    mentioned to her about this thread regarding NY schools and she said
    that the schools in Buffalo were very desirable. We also got into
    discussing salaries... she was amazed that I have 10 years experience
    and only make $33K. She said in their neighborhood schools, after 3-5
    years, a teacher can make upwards of $85K!!! I nearly fell off my
    chair. AND, taking on extra responsibilities, like the yearbook that
    many of us do for free, get a big stipend of a few thousand dollars. I
    told her that in TX, the only big stipends are for coaches ;-)
    Anyway, good luck on the search, apparently there are some great
    opportunities out there, at least in Buffalo!
    teri

    ---