Re: guns and violence-healing society

From: John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Date: Sun May 28 2000 - 06:57:27 PDT

    Batmom44 wrote:
    > I have had a gun held on me. I have been beaten. I know what it feels like to
    > think that my life is going to end right there, right then.In fact, the perpetrator
    > has never spent the first day in jail for any> of it. He has never
    >been charged with a crime. We were married. His lawyer even suggested that I had
    > provoked my former husband's actions. You know, in the same sense that a
    > person provokes being raped.> We need a society that understands that certain
    >behavior is not right.
    > We need a society that will not commit certain acts because they are not
    > right. We must look in our own homes, backyards, neighborhoods, communities,
    > cities, states. It starts with us.
     Reatha,
            You have said a lot here to think about, especially on Sunday
    morning. I
    congratulate you for getting free of your situation. You had the
    courage to fight the rage and you didn't commit violence to get out.
    Today there are many women who were in the same situation who
    couldn't see another way out, and killed their assailant/ however
    doing this while not being beaten put them away for life. Not fair
    in my book and I firmly believe women are sentenced harder then men
    judicially. I also don't believe women in general are violent but
    could perhaps perpetuate or provoke some men to act out. The way
    boys are behaving now is an example of the digression of morals and
    society. The responsibility for your actions is not being accepted
    by anyone and yet blamed on society. When I think of your sentence
    "His lawyer even suggested that I had provoked my former husband's
    actions. You know, in the same sense that a person provokes being
    raped." I could not help but think of the women being set on fire on
    stoned to death in Un named countries because it is legal for their
    husbands to do this. Instead of divorce, this society accepts the
    murder of women so the husband does not loose face. All they have to
    do is accuse the wife of having an affair (most times not true) and
    they can do away with her.
    Lets stand up to improve society and heal our children.
    Sandra
    astroboy

    ---