sketchbooks

From: Lyden1819
Date: Sun May 28 2000 - 06:13:44 PDT

    To Janet in Texas: Re: sketchbooks for elementary age levels
    I've been teaching elementary art for many years, but this is the first year
    I decided to do sketchbooks.. I decided to make sketchbooks with the first,
    second, and multiage[ grades 1 and 2] for the last month or so of classes. We
    applied watercolor, freely,to 18x24 white paper, emphasizing skills taught
    during the year[ no fuzzies by overbrushing, clean water, clean paint, wet on
    wet, etc.] I cut each paper into 4, 9x12, they chose their favorite section
    for the cover, folded the sections,title on the cover --My Sketchbook
    by---Some of the pages were clean, some with watercolor --I then in,
    succeeding art classes, presented different ways of drawing--for one, I instru
    cted-- we worked together on a fishbowl foreground/background color--the
    works, another, from their own imaginations, they were to draw 4 funny faces
    or find something recognizable on the watercolor pages and identify it with
    drawing, another--they were to choose 1 item from the boxes of stuff I have
    and draw, with careful observation, the shape and details--the first graders
    did well, although their "careful observation" took less time than the older
    students- They all maintained an interest in this project and now have little
    sketchbooks with some free pages to work on.Encouraging close observation of
    shapes and details is one of my most important missions as an art
    teacher--All this sketchbook talk has inspired me to do them with all the
    grade levels. Ceil Lyden Pa.

    ---