Re: Postmodernism and Kruger

From: KLMVisArt
Date: Sun May 28 2000 - 04:34:32 PDT

    Brenda,
    Have you considered a text and image project? You could use Barbara Kruger
    as an exemplary artist. The fact that she uses appropriated images could be
    discussed as well as her earlier collages. Kate Linker wrote her bio. from
    Purdue U. She writes that historically speaking these works fall into the
    realm of montage but they lack the genre's smoothness(Linker,1990). Kruger
    is in your face with a biting text. Check out the book Love For Sale. Of
    course all this is discussed in terms of postmodernism and referencing the
    past- if you are at the secondary level this can lead to meaningful
    discussions of gender and social issues. You might even introduce the
    Guerrilla Girls' posters (dealing with discrimination). They refer to
    themselves as the concience of the art world.
    Good luck! Please let us know what you. I'd enjoy hearing about it.
    Kerry

    ---