Re: calligraphy ideas?

From: Karlawald
Date: Sat May 27 2000 - 14:07:55 PDT

    If you have access to old issues of "Arts & Activities", there is a lesson in
    the November 1984 issue called Calligraphics. They are a fun way to use the
    calligraphy pens that gives students a short break from lettering and tedious
    planning. The designs begin with a few strokes in the center of the page and
    it grows from the inside out. It is formed by repeating a stroke again and
    again, side by side, perhaps making it slightly longer each time (or shorter,
    or more curved, etc.). This forms a shape. Find a spot to do another one, and
    pretty soon you have a finished drawing.

    It's a really cool project they can do in a day or repeat whenever they get
    time, but you've got to see the pictures to get the right idea. Let me know
    if you can't find a copy of the magazine.

    Karla

    P.S. I also like to have my students create their own border designs for
    their quotes. I don't remember if that has been mentioned yet. After
    lettering has been practiced, I ask them to turn in a page with their name in
    calligraphy along with 5 lines of invented border designs. Then they can use
    their favorite one around a quote.

    ---