Sketchbooks

From: Patricia Knott (pknott)
Date: Sat May 27 2000 - 09:45:38 PDT

    I've been reading all the posts about sketchbooks and I can't say what I
    believe any better than Larry. If you haven't seen his site, I suggest you
    do.
    http://www.wetcanvas.com/ArtSchool/Drawing/Sketching/

    I require a sketchbook in all our Fine Arts courses. We make the initial
    purchase and the student is expected to have it throughout the sequence of
    classes. I have written it into the curriculum and have strong suggestions
    for the inclusion of a sketchbook/journal on the elementary and middle
    school levels.
    At the high school, I divide the sketchbook into three parts. 1 - teacher
    prompts, 2- research and thinking process, and 3- the students own "stuff."
    I teach Advanced and AP art and for each project I assign, a sketchbook
    assessment is included. I teach that there is no art without thinking, so I
    want to see it in the sketchbook. It's part of the training. I try to teach
    that art comes from observing and notating and commenting and that no idea
    should be disregarded. I check sketchbooks at random. I expect that my
    students have it all times.
    One more thing. The sketchbook is becoming an important part of college
    admission. Sometimes a great sketchbook can get a kid into a good art
    school. AND, it will be required in an art school. One of my former
    students, at Pratt this year, was required to have a sketchbook for EACH
    class.

    If my house caught on fire, I would grab the dogs and the sketchbooks first.

    Patty

    ---