re: sketchbooks

From: Teri Mason (terily)
Date: Sat May 27 2000 - 08:55:19 PDT

    >Now that I'm going to be taeching middle school for the
    > first time, I figure I'll use sketchbooks for them to learn and make
    examples
    > of the elements of art, kind of like a study guide, and also use for
    > sketching for project preparation and HW, etc.
    I, too, used my sketchbooks in this way, after a year of teeth-pulling
    last year! For my warm-up, instead of sketching, we use Woody's idea of
    Artist of the Week. I have tons of visuals, so I can rotate them out.
    Since I only saw my 6th graders on M-Th, I modified Woody's sheet and
    made the Friday section a "personal respose to the artwork." We glued
    these pages into the handmade sketchbooks (with batik covers made by the
    kids), and also did sketches to prepare for projects, practiced
    watercolor techniques, took notes, etc. So basically it became their
    art notebook more than a sketchbook, but I think they liked them and if
    they save them, they will have a whole semester worth of good art
    information. I also gave them handouts on each project we did, with
    instructions, so that they could do it again later, if they chose (like
    years later, possibly even with their own kids!)
    teri

    ---