Re: sketchbook motivation

From: Debra Kozak (berkana)
Date: Sat May 27 2000 - 08:47:29 PDT

    Larry:

    I agree that sketching is essential for the artist. I always have a sketchbook
    with me, even if it is only the 3-1/2" by 5" spiral bound sketch pad that I keep
    in my purse. It is filled with sketches I made while waiting for appointments
    with doctors, dentists, stores to open, trains to pass, etc. I have always
    impressed upon my adult students the importance of keeping sketchbooks.
    Hopefully, I will be able to prove the importance of sketching (and the pleasure
    it *can* give) to my middle school students when I begin teaching this next
    school year.

    I was fortunate to have a high school art teacher who emphasized sketching and
    drawing. Over the years I have filled countless sketchbooks and have enjoyed
    the making of every gestural mark. I believe that the spontaneity of sketching
    keeps me creative and my techniques freer.

    I was impressed with your article on sketching at WetCanvas. Would it be
    possible for me to get a copy of it? Although I could download it from the
    WetCanvas site, I would wind up with a document that is loaded with extraneous
    information pertaining to the web site...and all that extra stuff would use a
    lot of my printer's ink.

    Thank you,
    Deb K.
    Debra L. Kozak Studio
    Elyria, OH

    Larry Seiler wrote:

    > <Sketching for me as an artist/art teacher is a life blood. For me, the
    > highest motivation for passing that value onto the kids...was for them to
    > see me putting it into practice as though it were as I said, "important">

    ---