Re: Crayons and Asbestos

From: Sharon Henneborn (heneborn)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 18:11:50 PDT

    I knew I could count on Judy and Maggie to give us the voice of
    reason.

    Just remember that the reason that Asbestos is harmful is that it
    contains particles smaller than .2 microns which are too small to be
    expired from the lungs and cause irritation and scar tissue and
    otherwise interfere with lung function.

    As I have posted on this list before so does dryer lint.

    Maggie, since I live on a main road where the drivers zoom by way over
    the speed limit and never use their breaks am I safe from brake dust
    contamination? ;-)

    ----------
    >From: Maggie White <mwhiteaz>
    >Subject: Re: Crayons and Asbestos
    >Date: Wed, May 24, 2000, 10:17 AM

    > Asbestos is not a problem unless it has broken down to the point where it
    can
     be inhaled (the term is "friable"). An asbestos testing firm told me
    (after
     examining the asbestos floor tile in my apt.) we breathe more
    asbestos walking down a city street than from most other sources;
    asbestos is used for brake pads, and the constant braking on city
    streets scrapes off and releases small
    > particles of asbestos into the air. He also told me that unless you're
    > working in an asbestos mine, or an industry that uses a lot of asbestos in
    > manufacturing, or your asbestos insulation or ceiling tiles are crumbling,
    > you're not being exposed to harmful amounts.

    > In the classroom, I would not panic, but err on the side of caution. Any
    > asbestos particles are probably bound up in the wax of the crayons pretty
    > well, but you should of course keep the crayons out of their mouths--they're
    > petroleum-based, anyway, and that's probably as bad--and dump out the small
    > particles that collect.

    > Hope this helps.

    > Maggie

    ---