Re: sketchbook motivation /semi-long

From: croberts (croberts)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 17:31:39 PDT

    I, too, believe in sketchbooks and I have had to draw many things myself
    that I did not want to draw...but in the long run, I feel that drawing
    assignments are good and I do agree that students should sometimes be
    allowed freedom in their choice of sketching. Sometimes, I find that when I
    tell students to "bring in a drawing"...YIKES!...it's of nearly nothing.

    I do find that students in the more advanced classes do not need assigned
    drawings...they can always come up with ideas that THEY want to draw. I
    "play it by ear" with my students.

    I have a sketchbook that stays with me...I have finally found one that I'm
    comfortable with...it's 8-1/2 x 11" and spiral bound. I use it for drawings
    and also for jotting down notes and ideas for lessons. My students love to
    go through it.
    Carolyn Roberts
    Kinston High School
    Kinston NC 28501
    croberts
    http://cyber.lenoir.k12.nc.us/khs/departments/roberts.html (Computer Art
    Lessons)

    > I, too believe in sketch book assignments. In fact, I believe that you
    >should always have the sketch book with you. I try, but not always with
    >success. My sketch book has scrap paper, envelopes, church bullitins,
    >etc. stuck in because I got an idea without the sketch book. It would
    >look strange to go into church with a sketch book (although I have done
    >it!). The more your students draw the better and more confident is the
    >artwork.
    >
    >Sandra in AL
    >
    >> I think it is essential to use the sketchbook as a resource for future
    >> projects.
    >> You need to practice to draw well.
    >> Christa

    ---