sketchbooks

From: McKenna, Susan (smckenna@cc-amana.k12.ia.us)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 14:55:21 PDT

    Hello there-I am new to the list and I love it!

    I teach middle school and assign my students 1 hour of sketchbook drawings a week. They can draw whatever they want, but they must keep track of their time or they lose points. As I give them the assignment, I also tell them that I usually give students a higher grade if they draw something that they can look at --something real, not from memory or
    imagination. This cuts down the hearts stars and rainbow drawings. At first they hate this, but after they try it, they really start to challenge themselves-which improves their skill and keeps them motivated to draw more. By assigning minutes instead of pages I get a higher quality of work, and they can still doodle a little to get their brain flowing.

    Susan

    ---