Re: sketchbook motivation

From: gregjuli
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 14:23:42 PDT

    Gosh , I feel like I opened up a can of worms! I have to admit drawing has
    not been my favorite thing in art ( I like to get right in to the paint or
    clay) , BUT, I do make myself do some drawing in the summer to refresh my
    skills. I do believe practice is important. One of my art professors
    (ceramics) in college told us he made himself do some drawing every few months
    whether he liked it or not.
    I asked the kids , do you think Jordan always loved practicing basketball for
    hours upon hours?

    I do put up previous examples from other students that excelled on a
    particular example, that helps some of them. I like the example of comparing
    practicing an instrument to do sketching and will use that one.
    Maybe I will make the assignment for every other week. I'm really torn
    between two thoughts on this. Bottom line is you can't please them all, but
    stress the things you think are important and let them decide from that. I'm
    sure we all had certain assignments in college that we hated but did it ,then
    went on and grew from that experience.

    MaryB

    ---