Re: sketchbook motivation /semi-long

From: Deb Mortl (dmortl)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 10:05:20 PDT

    I really struggled with the sketchbook thing too, but I seem to have found a
    motivator that works for me. I give specific enough but still open-ended
    assignemnts to get them thinking without telling them what to do. If I
    don't give them any assignment or "choice" assignment, I get low level junk
    that looks like grade-school cartoon work, even from very skilled students.
    Here is the clincher - I Xerox the best assignments and put them on the
    buletin board. It has turned into quite a competition (and an honor) even
    tho I never presented it as that. Students come in my room and can't wait
    to see whose work made it up. The assignments have improved 100x since I
    started doing that!

    Deb