Sketchbooks

From: Peggy Woolsey (Eoolspeg)
Date: Fri May 26 2000 - 06:28:12 PDT

    OK Bunki, I'm after you! Just kidding. Lots of my high school students
    dislike their sketchbook assignments. I do them to reinforce class lessons
    e.g. color work, perspective etc. They are always based on "observation."
    They must treat the whole page--background too. They occasionally beg for
    an "open" assignment. I am always disgusted by these as I get a daisy or a
    smiley face or any number of silly things done with no thought or effort.
            Nother thing the sketchbooks do for me and my students is to
    provide some consistent "hard" marks as they work on projects that take
    weeks to complete. If a students is not handing in assignments on a regular
    basis I watch them a little closer and alert them to the danger of letting
    zeros add up. They also have "duo-tang" assignments each week (warm-ups,
    some written work etc.) that I use to start classes with. Peggy

    ---