Re: sketchbook motivation /semi-long

From: Ann Heineman (aheinema-state.edu)
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 23:43:17 PDT

    Why don't we recognize that practice and drill are important in the
    development of a visual artist? As a person who has played a musical
    instrument and studied voice, I know the value of endless hours of
    practicing technique and scales. It's not easy and it can be boring. But
    you need to do it so that the basics become second nature and you can start
    focusing on the Art--your personal expression. I've tried sketchbook
    assignments in the elementary level and got the same negative reaction from
    my students. And yet I see the students carrying home their musical
    instruments to practice their music.

            Ann-on-y-mouse in Columbus

    e, but every year there are complaints about there homework in Art Studio.
    |I'm wondering what are your thoughts as I continue my quest to make my program
    |the best it can be.
    |
    |MaryB ( 8 days left!)

    Ann Heineman.....aheinema-state.edu
    Greensview School....Upper Arlington City Schools
    (614)487-5050 ... Voice Mail 487-6456 Box 522

    ---