sketchbook motivation

From: Bunki Kramer (bkramer.us)
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 20:03:20 PDT

    from: Bunki Kramer (bkramer.us)
    Los Cerros Middle School
    968 Blemer Road
    Danville, CA 94526
    ************************
    > I know I shouldn't let a couple or 13 year olds get to
    > me, but every year there are complaints about there homework in Art Studio.
    > I'm wondering what are your thoughts as I continue my quest to make my program
    > the best it can be.
    > > MaryB ( 8 days left!)
    *****************************

    HI, Mary. It sounds like they found your "hot button" today. If it wasn't
    that, it would be something else from a middle schooler. You don't need us
    to tell you THAT, though, do you?!

    I'm going to open up a can of worms and mention that I don't like sketchbook
    assignments. Okay, everyone...jump on Bunki day. I know I'm bugging about
    95% of you already. The reason I don't is from earlier experiences with them
    myself in college. I HATED THEM! I was forever doing my sketches in my
    journals at the 11th hour while grinding teeth. I do like to sketch by
    myself when I want, what I want. I don't like assignments...especially those
    where I have to sketch a dream, memory, or something vague. I REALLY dislike
    THAT! I like realism...sketching from something I see. I like to sketch for
    project preparation and fuse/fuel ideas....but I don't like to do something
    someone else has arbitrarily assigned. I feel like I am a successful drawer.
    Not being a sketchbook journal person, I don't think I have suffered any
    great loss personally. I'm sure some of you would disagree but I can only
    speak from MY personal experience.

    I feel there are those who would prosper from the journaling and some who
    don't need that route...don't want to go that route. I can't offer you much
    in the way of what you need or want to do but I can offer you this other
    perspective from someone who dislikes sketchbooks and can sympathize with a
    few of your students. Okay everybody...come and get me! Toodles.......

    ---