was, "art show incident" ethics

From: Litesal (litesal)
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 19:31:21 PDT

    Dear Colleagues,

    Some of you have been discussing the attitude that anything out in the open
    is free for the taking. I had such an incident today. A third grade class
    was finishing a painting assignment. If they finished early, they could
    gather some scraps of paper to take home for summer projects. Meanwhile, I
    also had several students untangling cotton warp for me. Two things
    occurred, first the students didn't just take some scraps they were
    interested in, they took huge piles of scraps! I reminded them that I did
    have 775 other students (incidentally, the dear students who didn't take
    much in the first place, offered to put some back, bless their hearts).
    Then as they were lining up to go, I noticed that about half of them had
    balls of cotton warp in their hands! Just because it happened to be on the
    table, they took it. I was astonished.

    Leah

    ---