Re: artsednet digest: May 20, 2000 shoes, standards

From: maryannkohl (maryann)
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 17:48:25 PDT

    Michelle Peck Williams mpwill 5/21/00 5:38 AM
    >Somebody explain to me how sandals hurt my kids' education?

    We aren't allowed to go barefoot for health reasons in our school (I
    mean, sandals without hose or socks). In fact, they tried to ban open
    toed shoes. But that didn't fly. I'm pretty casual, and like to be very
    comfortable because doing art requires casual clothes, but I do think
    that as educators we need to set standards. That can mean we have a
    standard of being casual and comfortable, and yet, not sloppy. We choose
    words that are actually in the dictionary, and not overdo the kid-slang.
    We, well, you know... STANDARDS. I've been in some highschools lately
    where the teachers are acting like kids, and the standard they are
    setting is one of lowering themselves to kid level instead of raising the
    kids to a higher level. Well, I'm tired of listening to myself right now,
    so...
    BYE!
    MaryAnn

    maryann
    http://www.brightring.com

    "So many things have made living and learning easier. But the real things
    haven't changed. It is still best to be honest and truthful; to make the
    most of what we have; to be happy with simple pleasures and to be cheerful
    and have courage when things go wrong"...Laura Ingalls Wilder

    ---