sketchbook motivation /semi-long

From: gregjuli
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 17:18:16 PDT

    hi all
    Ok , I know I should never let a couple of middle schoolers comments get to me,
    but I am frustrated after two Honors kids were complaining about sketching.
    I have had an 8th grade Honors class for 6 years( meet twice a week all year) (
    with many absences for concerts & band competition). I assign them a weekly
    sketch assignment that they get a handout on the first day of class in August.
    So they can see all the assignments at a glance and their due dates. I even
    build breaks ( no assignments) in for holidays or when our Art Fair comes up.
    Some of the assignments are not even sketches. I have them do some lighter things
    for a change of pace. For example , a scary face collage ( which we use to paint
    on a pumpkin in the fall) and interesting rubbings .
    I like to leave the assignments open -ended like the one that says sketch an
    interior ( of anything) or a summer memory. In March I give them a whole month
    to set up an appointment with a staff member to sketch them. Half of them cheated
    with photos ( they got F's and one week to redo or they couldn't do the hand
    casting at the end of the year).
    It seems every year there are kids who complain about having to sketch. I start
    to think why did they ever apply for the program?
    Some say they want to sketch what they want. I sure know how that would work with
    middle school kids. It would be cartoons or whining " I don't know what to
    sketch". Or just plain garbage.
    I've done lots of research and planning to make my sketch assignments and have
    fine- tuned it many times. I know I shouldn't let a couple or 13 year olds get to
    me, but every year there are complaints about there homework in Art Studio.
    I'm wondering what are your thoughts as I continue my quest to make my program
    the best it can be.

    MaryB ( 8 days left!)

    ---