Re: art exam

From: Christa Wise (cwise.us)
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 05:28:24 PDT

    Type III writings are part of an intervention our school uses to work
    toward NCA goals. It is part of a system of teaching writing, pioneered by
    John Collins, that is easy to grade because it only uses three "Focus
    Correction Areas(FCA's)." In my case 20% of the grade is based on proper
    format (skip every other line, write in ink, proper heading listing FCA's),
    an opening and closing paragraph about the work(40%), and an explanation in
    the body of the writing specifically addressing each of the three words
    chosen and how they were used (40%). So, spelling, punctuation, and actual
    "right" answers are not a consideration. This kind of writing frees the
    student to write, and it makes my job simple. Out of 10 points, I gave 2
    by just glancing at the format, 4 more if the three words are addressed,
    and 4 more for the opening and closing.

    Types IV and V are more polished forms of writing that might be addressed
    in English or History classes. Types I and II are even more simple and
    could be used daily in any class. John Collins is the guru of this kind of
    writing education if anyone is interested. If the whole school embraces
    the approach, the kids fall comfortably into the format.

    This is more than you need to know. You could just ask for a paper about
    the work - an artist's statement.
    Christa

    At 06:30 PM 5/24/00 EDT, you wrote:
    >In a message dated 5/24/00 8:31:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
    >cwise.us writes:
    >
    ><< I ask for a type III writing that explains what the image is
    > about and how each of the three words was used. >>
    > Christa;

    ---