RE: glazes for elementary school

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler@ez-net.com)
Date: Thu May 25 2000 - 04:52:05 PDT

    <snip>
    We are going to do ceramics with our 2nd & 3rd graders and 4th, 5th, and 6th
    grade groups in our summer program. The Chicken Farm Art Center is going to
    fire them free for us, so we are planning on using acrylics. What type of
    clear coat do you use?
    <snip>

    I purchased several gallons of acrylic gloss medium/varnish from Utrech,
    which is not as convenient as using spray gloss mediums, but no harmful
    vapors, and more economical. You do have to make sure you wait until pieces
    are definitely dry, as brushing on the medium/varnish can loosen wet paint
    and streak. I use a hair blow drier on questionable pieces with the
    students.

    Thanks all for input btw....I will have some more learning to do with
    underglazing, but for sculptural pieces....seems acrylics remain just way
    too convenient.

    Larry Seiler

    ---