RE: No Windows

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 20:00:31 PDT

    When my neighbor moved to town, she expected her son's asthma to get better
    because we have near desert conditions. They are from Houston. The boy
    actually because sicker. She started to keep a journal tracking his asthma
    attacks looking for an environmental cause. She found the longer he was in
    school the sicker he became. She and some other parents got together and
    agitated for an air quality study. The fresh air intake for the AC was next
    to the sewer stack!! The music room had almost no oxygen in it and the
    ventilation wasn't working at all in that room. The music teacher was
    ordered by the technician to leave her windows open, because he was so
    concerned. A week later she was fined for having her windows open by the
    energy efficiency office! Those problems have been solved (supposedly). A
    couple of months ago a Girl Scout group having a meeting after school had to
    evacuate when the AC over heated and started smoking. Administration
    response - oh this happens all the time there is some problem with the AC.
    Thank God their next-door neighbor is the Fire Department.

    Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
    CAM Administrator