Re: No Windows

From: Mark Alexander (malexander06)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 20:00:14 PDT

    I believe that in Connecticut it is law that no classroom can be
    subterranean or without windows. Small conference rooms and small group
    instruction rooms are an exception, but all classrooms have to have windows.
    I'm not sure how the code reads, but during recent renovations here this
    subject was brought up on numerous occasions. Both the computer room and the
    library in this school are interior rooms with lovely skylights.

    Both of my art rooms have windows, with views of the school yard and the
    trees and rolling hills beyond. My favorite room of the two, in the newly
    renovated building, has northern exposure and an outside door. Another
    aspect which I enjoy about my rooms is that they are both the farthest rooms
    away from the front entrance, allowing for me to teach with reasonable
    levels of noise and desk hummucks without the need to spend a lot of time
    trying to be presentable to school visitors.

    I would not enjoy a windowless room. Even at home I never draw the shades
    because I like to see the outside. I once lived in an urban apartment where
    I had to have blinds on all the windows for privacy and I hated it. I have
    to have natural light and a view of the outdoors to remain centered.

    I hope you and your students are all treated better soon.

    Mark

    ---