Re: No Windows

From: LMiller435
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 17:03:11 PDT

    Nina,

    I actually do have frosted light from ceiling level coming in and a back door
    I can open, but in the storage room, not my room.

    There are three other teachers in town who have no natural light.
    One is in a school that was built as an open plan middle school. The art
    room in that school were to die for! Big, open, roof of glass and windows
    and doors to the outside. Sinks and storage and room for clay and printing
    presses. Everything!

    When that school was turned into an elementary school, the art rooms were
    given to the kindergartens and the art room was put into an inside, under the
    ground room. No windows and mold growing across the walls and ceilings. The
    school was built for air-conditioning, but they ran out of money and never
    put it in. Many children and teachers were chronically sick there, but of
    course, no one listened cause it would cost money.

    Of course the administrators all have air-conditioning, my kiln waited almost
    a year to be fixed while the electricians did the air-conditioning in the
    administration building.

    Finally, the ducts were cleaned out. The air quality is better there, now. I
    don't know what caused the cleaning out of the duct system.

    Good luck to you. I would get your principal's sanction documented, though.
    Before you make waves.

    Good luck.

    Les

    ---