Re: 3-D showcase display

From: Andrea Dunmire (artshui)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 12:59:58 PDT

    Sherry wrote:

    >Well the year is winding down and all the kids are very excited about
    >taking their pottery and clay creations home... which leaves me a bare
    >3-d glass showcase with dust!! I was just wondering what other art
    >teachers put in their displays the last month or so of school so that it
    >isn't empty??!!

    I do a "Guess the Mystery Masterpiece" display periodically throughout the
    year and then usually again at the end. I choose a reproduction from my
    supply and cover the title and artist. Each day for as long as I want it to
    go on, I put a clue in the school daily newsletter. These clues should
    eventually lead the students to the library or Internet at home and to the
    answer. I ask them to find out the title and the artist. The answers are
    written on specially prepared "answer sheets" which are hung in a pocket
    outside the showcase, and deposited into the "Mystery Masterpiece Answer
    Box" also found there. Each day, I collect these and put the correct ones
    into another box. At the designated end of the time, I take the box of
    correct answers to the principal who chooses 3 winners by reaching into the
    box without looking. These 3 are announced over the intercom in the morning
    and come down to the art room for a prize. I usually give out art supplies
    for them to use at home for the summer.
    This is VERY popular and has the kids asking for more! (Good PR, too.)