RE: Crayola and Asbestos

From: Lawrence A. Parker (occti)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 09:05:37 PDT

    > What's going on. I saw a report on NBC saying there was asbestos in
    > crayons. Is this a real danger? Does anyone know any more?
    >
    > Clark

    I just got back home and was ready to post the following when I found your
    message. Here is the (small) story as reported today in the Akron Beacon
    Journal, pg. 1:

    "Children's crayons may have asbestos

            The Consumer Product Safety Commission is cautioning parents to consider
    not allowing children to play with crayons until the agency determine [sic]
    whether the playthings are contaminated with cancer-causing asbestos.
            The Seattle Post-Intelligencer reported yesterday that in tests by two
    government-certified laboratories, crayons made by Crayola, Prang and Rose
    Art were found to contain asbestos.
            'At this point, the facts aren't in and we don't want to alarm people, but
    if a parent wants to be cautious, they may not want to let their young kids
    play with crayons,' said CPSC spokesman Russ Rader."

    And we were just talking about 'ethics'...

    Larry

    ---