arts advocay websites

From: Emily Onstott (eonstott)
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 07:06:53 PDT

    Melissa- I hope the reports on these websites help. There are many others, but I have found these sites and reports to be pretty interesting.
    Also, I have been working on an annotated list of sources and studies related to arts-based literacy programs in schools. It is getting lengthy, but if it would help I would be more than happy to email it to you. Just send me an email offline.
    Best of luck,

    President's Committee on the Arts and the Humanities
    "Gaining the Arts Advantage: Lessons from School Districts that Value Education"
    Kennedy Center
    "Champions of Change: The Impact of the Arts on Learning"
    Arts Education Partnership
    "Learning Partnerships: Improving Learning in Schools with Arts Partners in the Community" (plus local and state reports are available)
    Americans for the Arts
    "Growing Attention to Helping Our Children Read: The Arts Can Play a Critical Role"
    Association for the Advancement of Arts Education
    "How the Arts Contribute to Education: An Evaluation of Research"
    Association of Supervision and Curriculum Development
    "Picture This: An Arts-Based Literacy Program" (from Educational Leadership)
    National Assembly of State Arts Agencies
    "Eloquent Evidence: Arts at the Core of Learning"

    I'm pulling out my bigs guns on this one. PE is trying to get my
    to hire another PE teacher instead of an art teacher. (We have 2 PE, 2
    music and 1 1/2 art on our campus of 700 students). I need proof that
    is just as valuable to the curriculum as PE. They have come up with all
    sorts of articles and websites to show many hours a week the children
    PE. So, I need to find proof that the children need more than 50 minutes
    art once per week. The more websites I can find the better. I have dug
    around on here and the NAEA website and haven't found much. Anything at
    this point would help!!!

    Emily C. Onstott
    Coordinator of School Outreach
    The Walters Art Gallery