Re: calligraphy ideas?

From: DHJones3
Date: Wed May 24 2000 - 03:01:58 PDT

    In a message dated 05/22/2000 9:49:07 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
    mwhiteaz writes:

    <<
    > In a message dated 5/21/00 12:24:16 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
    > gregjuli writes:
    >
    > << ve seen calligraphy used inside the shape of the word being done, for
    > example-calligraphy the word apple many times inside the outline of an
    apple.
    > MaryB >>
    > I have seen it written around the paper like a rectangular spiral, ending
    in
    > the center with the name.

     This reminded me of the beautiful calligraphic pictures I saw in Turkey.
    They
     were replications of old Arabic ones. I think they were poems in the form
    of a
     lion or other object (not just single words). The Arabic script was soo-ooo
     beautiful. Wish I'd bought some now, but they were usually done on cheap
     pasteboard so I figured they wouldn't last.

     If any of you ever go to Istanbul, check out the Calligraphy Museum. It's
    tiny,
     little-visited, and has gorgeous examples of traditional Arabic calligraphic
    art.

     Maggie

    ---