RE: Dith Pran was in Killing Fields

From: Kimberly Herbert (kimberly)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 17:32:07 PDT

    Haing S. Ngor was a native of Cambodia, and before the war was a physician
    (obstetrics) and medical officer in the Cambodian army. He became a captive
    of the Khmer Rouge during the and was im prison
    <http://us.imdb.com/SearchBios?prison> ed and tortured; in order to escape
    execution he denied being a doctor or having an education. He moved to the
    U.S. as a refugee in 1980, and though he had no formal acting experience, he
    was chosen to portray photographer Dith Pran in Killing Fields, The (1984)
    <http://us.imdb.com/Title?0087553> and won an Academy Award
    <http://us.imdb.com/SearchBios?Award> . He went on to a modestly
    distinguished acting career, while continuing to work with human rights
    organizations in Cambodia on improving the conditions in resettlement camps,
    as well as attempting to bring the perpetrators of the Cambodian massacre to
    justice. On 25 February 1996, Ngor was found shot to death in the garage of
    his apartment building in Los Angeles. Relatives and friends speculated that
    the killing was revenge for his opposition to the Khmer Rouge

    <snip>
    He was the first non-professional since Harold Russell
    <http://us.imdb.com/Name?Russell,+Harold> in Best Years of Our Lives, The
    (1946) <http://us.imdb.com/Title?0038351> 50 years ago to win an academy
    award <http://us.imdb.com/SearchBios?award> .

    Source http://us.imdb.com/Bio?Ngor,+Haing+S.

    Kimberly Herbert ( kimberly <kimberly> )
    CAM Administrator