Re: glazes for elementary school

From: Litesal (litesal)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 16:08:09 PDT

    > Curious here, "Soos" wouldn't painting the sculptures with acrylics, and
    > then covering with a gloss medium amount to about the same result? I'd
    like
    > to understand more what the advantages of painting with the underglaze and
    > covering with clear glaze are say versus acrylics. (reason
    being...acrylics
    > I have).

    Dear Larry,

    I'm not Soos, but I'd like to answer this question. Using underglazes and
    glazes would give you a more permanent result. I taught high school
    ceramics for four years. We did a lot of handbuilding and sculptural work
    which some students chose to paint and cover with gloss medium. It looked
    nice, but could be nicked if one was not careful. I also found that some
    students applied the acrylic too thickly, and then it could be peeled off.
    I also did not like how vigilent I had to be about brush cleaning. Believe
    it or not, I had beautiful results with watercolor on white bisqueware that
    was then covered in gloss medium. I still have pieces I made that are not
    faded or nicked (about 10 years old).

    Leah

    ---