Re: Mural painting on wallboard

From: MarshArt
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 16:09:33 PDT

    I do murals on commission and I have several in my present home. I have done
    them on both plaster and sheet rock walls. Every time, the walls were primed
    and painted by the people, prior to my starting.

    I use acrylic paints exclusively ( tube or liquid) and they have lasted many
    years without fading, peeling or chipping. One difficulty with acrylic, is
    the speedy drying time. I use a retarder , such as a glazing medium (can
    get it in craft stores) which gives a more translucent look, or I use an
    extender ( which gives more open time to work the paint). I mix it with my
    paint (a little does a lot!). Sometimes, I may put the extender on the wall
    itself and paint over it.

    Good luck!

    Marsha

    If little handa are near the mural, you can put an "eggshell" finish clear
    acrylic glaze oevr the mural to preserve it, just as you would for a painting.

    Hope this helps.

    Marsha

    ---