Re: Chair constuction great- more questions though

From: John & Sandra Barrick (astroboy)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 06:12:26 PDT

    Gumart1 wrote:

    > Hi there,
    > Thanks for your explanation Sandra. A few questions though about the bridge
    > structure. How big a piece of posterboard? How much of the poster board
    > should be overlapping the chair? Do you mean sandwich the acordian folded
    > poster board between two straight pieces of poster board. Thanks again.
    > Sincerely, Ruth in IL
    Actually it's been awhile and it's not child that sits on the
    structure it's a TONKA truck that I use to use. I was thinking of
    this after I wrote the last post. A whole piece of poster board x 3.
    You will have to experiment on overlap before doing it. It's been
    awhile but I believe I put two chairs facing each other and then
    there was a gap between them of about 10-12" or so (I never measured
    anything.) The poster board went on lengthwise.Yes I mean top is -
    middle is ^^^ and bottom is -. If you don't want to use the chair
    demonstration just have them practice with paper at their
    desk/chair.
    Here is a web site on architecture and structure:
    http://www.whyy.org/aie/page2.html
    On the left column is a kit you can buy all about structure, which
    use to be on this site for free. It appears it now cost $100- but
    includes 60 slides, you can still get alot from this site. You can
    also email and set up to have an architect come to your school. The
    reason I am posting it (not only is it a good resource but it also
    had an accordion image with bridges) I can't find it now, I'm not
    sure if it is in the pack they are selling or somewhere on this new
    site. The old format had larger pictures but this gives more info.
    http://www.whyy.org/aie/
    Sandra
    Gum you can reach me at address below.
    astroboy