Re: glazes for elementary school

From: Larry Seiler (lseiler@ez-net.com)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 05:04:42 PDT

    <snip>
    The process for using this type of product is - student sculpts piece. Let
    dry. Fire to Shelf Cone 04 (or as specified by the clay supplier). Then
    apply color. JUST LET IT DRY. Then clear glaze it. The other benefit of
    this type of underglaze is that there is no need to fire it to set the
    color.
    .Soos
    <snip>

    Sure have appreciated everyone's input on this group this year, to a few
    that helped me refresh my experience with clay work. What a treat at years
    end to see the ceramics displayed receive a great deal of interest along
    with all else.

    Curious here, "Soos" wouldn't painting the sculptures with acrylics, and
    then covering with a gloss medium amount to about the same result? I'd like
    to understand more what the advantages of painting with the underglaze and
    covering with clear glaze are say versus acrylics. (reason being...acrylics
    I have).

    Larry Seiler

    ---