RE: Gifted Art Students

From: J+G Grant (jggrant)
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 04:11:32 PDT

    I have another take on this subject. My daughter is gifted. I was her primary school (elementary) art teacher and I made her work as I am a realist (she would have said a right proper pain). In her high school, she was having the highest marks virtually thrown at her. She is not an idiot. She knows when she does good and when she does not try. She felt that even if she gave them sub-standard work she would get a good mark. She would bring home her work and ask me to grade it for her. Yep, she was right - too high! Why should she try? Where is the mutual respect? It is up to us to keep our perspective or we will lose our brightest and best. She will be going elsewhere.
    Gina

    ---