Re: honor roll vs behavior

From: Batmom44
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 03:02:34 PDT

    Apparently the school board makes the decision. Our principals pushed for the
    electives to count for more. And they're pushing for more. So I guess it is
    just like everything else. You have to start at the grass roots. That would
    be the principals. I think ours were finally convinced that many of the
    behavior and failure problems in electives were due to the lack of a need for
    students to pass. It takes 24 credits to graduate but with 4X4 they have 32
    opportunities to get those credits. If they are not worried about class rank
    or gpa, electives become courses that they choose to fail! Now work that down
    to the elementary level and begin your campaign. But make sure that the
    standards that you set for your students are high and that they are learning
    art not participating in step by step art activities. It is going to be
    harder at the elementary level. Your status is already that of babysitter
    with many teachers and administrators. Good luck.
    Reatha

    ---