Re: Help! Seasoned travelers

From: laurel@pure-guava.org.nz
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 23:47:41 PDT

    > This is a really important thing to remember. Say hello in the language of
    > the country, and when you get a response say, immediately, in the native
    > language, "Thank you so much, you understand my French (or whatever
    > language)." "Vous etes tres gentil, vous comprendez ma francais," for
    > instance. This immediately softens the mood, disarming the most grumpy
    > native speaker and making him/her much more patient. Usually they will
    > come back with something like, "But of course I understand, you speak
    > well...Where do you come from? etc., etc.

    EXCELLENT tip! people anywhere are SO much more willing to help you if
    you try and speak the language (as we would be in the states!) some people
    will pretend not to know how to speak english even if they do because of
    the rudeness. also... ive learned that a smile will get you everything.
    try and speak it and smile away... its hard not to help someone grinning
    ear to ear and apologizing for their poor use of a language.

    i also just remembered one of the biggest tips ever. along with the ISIC
    card (international student ID card) there is also a teacher card you can
    get that offers the same exact benefits. (cheap museum entrances...
    insurance.... and most importantly... CHEAP flights) if you get one and go
    through council travel or STA travel, you get the same rates as a
    student... usually saving bucketloads on air travel. you can call
    information for the numbers... 1 -800 numbers. all you need to get the
    card is proof of employment on school letterhead.

    for those going to europe and hitting major cities only... theres a good
    book (in addition to the main staple of "lets go europe" and
    frommers/foders) called "access budget europe" (on sale on amazon.com for
    5.99). while it lacks the info for small cities, the large ones are all
    there. its by far the best book that ive used, especially good for its
    food recommendations, and hotel choices. beacuse its a harder to find
    book, NONE of the hotel recommendations from that book i used were booked,
    even in prime summer months, whereas all the other ones from the more
    commonly used books had to be booked far in advance.

    if anyone needs any more suggestions or help... let me know, on the list
    (if its something everyone can benefit from) or off. i'll be glad
    to help.
    :)

    -L

    ---