Re: honor roll vs behavior

From: Maggie White (mwhiteaz)
Date: Mon May 22 2000 - 22:00:09 PDT

    SANDRA ROWLAND wrote:

    > Congratulations to your principal that believed that all subject areas
    > counted for the honor roll! In the HS, some students have the belief
    > that it doesn't matter what you do in art. The counselors tell them it
    > is required to graduate but will not count toward college admittance. If
    > colleges would consider the whole GPA and not just the core academics
    > for admittance we might find students have a better work ethic when
    > entering college.

    AZ has had a fine arts requirement for HS graduation for some time now. In rural
    districts like mine, however, students could opt to take a vocational course
    instead. Now, the three state universities require that applicants have a fine
    arts credit on their transcripts--voc doesn't count. It's been funny to see all
    these seniors resignedly sign up for art, then get really enthused about it. One
    of our top seniors is taking my 3D class, and last week she said, "I shoulda taken
    more art. This is the only class where I actually _learned_ something new."

    Maggie

    ---